Saturday, July 11, 2009

Seward (pop 3010)

The harbor.

Some stores in the city.

This is where we parked at Seward. Right on the bay. There were water front spaces with hook ups and without hook ups. We chose hook ups because I was having to do laundry and ironing.

This is one of the ships that brings thousands of tourists in from different places.

This is one of the boats that takes tourist out on the water ways to see glaciers, animals, other little towns and different other things.

This is the boat that picks them up from wherever they go.

They're finally ready to go and so did we.

Another group of people that were getting ready to go kayaking. We waited and waited and it was cold. I guess there's a lot of rules and instructions. It tired us just waiting for them to put on their gear and get ready.

This is a group of the kids that were going kayaking.

On our way back to camp we saw a van full of people and we thought they might be going rafting so we followed them. We kind of lost them cause they didn't care how they drove their vehicle on the bad road away from camp. Tommy was trying to stay off of the pot holes and rocks and stuff. We went through that little section of town and found them again. This building was by a small boat ramp.

And on our way back to camp.

On our way out of the park I shot this sign, not with a shot gun, but with a camera. As if you didn't know, huh?

This was the trail closer to the building so it wasn't as woody. The other trails were pretty narrow.

Another picture of the trail. When I got to the top I was trying to decide whether I should come back the same way I went up or come back the opposite direction. I was a little worried about getting lost because it just seemed like it was miles and miles up. Anyway I decided I was coming down a different direction. I was hoping that it would be an easier, faster way. I guess it was, it wasn't as tiring.

I messed up and entered smaller pictures here. This is the trail that I took to the glacier. It was a little scary because I was going by myself and didn't know, who, if anybody was out there.

Here's a description of why the glacier has blue in it.

And another one.

Another close up picture of the glacier.

The park center.

The entrance sign to the park.

For over a year I walked anywhere from 6 to 16 miles almost every day and I could manage that pretty good. While I was walking to the glacier I kind of huffed and puffed and almost gave up. It just seemed like I would never get there. I don't know how high it went up but it seemed like it was pretty steep. After I got there, it was worth it. I hadn't seen a glacier that close, it was just remarkable.

I kept walking and after a while I came to some signs that said .7 one direction to the glacier and .4 the other direction. I thought, that's only 1/2 a mile, so I tried the shortest route. I was gradually climbing.

When we got to the building, I went in and Tommy stayed in the car. He was cold. I was just going in to check it out but then I went to the back door and started walking. This ice was way up in the mountain and I was trying to take a picture of a bear that was way out there. It was just a black speck but with my camera I could see that it was a bear. I tried several shots but I didn't get him, he kept going into the bushes. I guess he was trying to play hide and seek, but I wasn't playing, I was serious.

Just had to have a sign that would remind me of where I was and what it's called. That means that if we're old enough to retire, we're old enough to forget. I haven't forgotten yet but I might.

We arrived at Seward from Anchorage and decided to go do a little sight seeing. Seward was named for U. S. Secretary of State William H. Seward , who was instrumental in arranging the purchase of Alaska from Russia in 1867. We went down Exit Glacier Road and saw the Glacier from the road. It was gorgeous. All the glaciers are just beautiful. This one I could see the blue in it from the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment